Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KD-55XD9305 intermittently loses WiFi connection

profile.country.AE.title
aethompn01
Explorer

Bravia KD-55XD9305 intermittently loses WiFi connection

Hi, I’ve read several messages fm others regarding a Bravia TV WiFi connectivity issue. I bought my Bravia in 2016 and it’s always had an intermittent loss of WiFi connection. To work around this I attached a Fire stick and used this to access internet apps. But I’d like to resolve this problem on the Bravia as want to regularly access Netflix. 
The signal strength is strong with only a 2m distance between router and Bravia, a single brick wall between them. Also all other wireless devices in the house have zero connectivity issues and they much further away.
The problem is intermittent (approx 25-30% of the time) and hence I’m confident it’s inherent to the Bravia. In addition when the problem occurs the only way to resolve it is to perform a soft reset or disconnect the power source completely. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the “Connecting to WiFi” process to finish, other times it requires the WiFi password to be input again. Very very frustrating.
I haven’t yet tried switching the router frequency to 5Ghz or wired connection. If I can’t find a solution on the Bravia (which has the latest version s/w) then it well might have to be a cable through the wall but this is a last resort and why should this be the case.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions on how to resolve this please?

Many thanks,

Nige.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Do you have the latest software? v5.435? Also, try a factory reset by pressing (Home- Settings- storage and reset- Factory data reset- Delete everything), that sometimes helps with many issues.

profile.country.AE.title
aethompn01
Explorer

Hi and happy Christmas,

thanks for the below reply. My Bravia is set to auto update of the s/w but aside from this I do periodically and did just prior to posting my question prompt manually the Bravia to search for s/w update and it came back quickly stating it has the latest version. However in Settings in the “Version” column it states v7, but in the “Build” it states v5.433 and not v5.435. Subtle difference but if it is the solution I don’t know how to load it into the Bravia as when I prompt it to s/w update it replies that it has the latest s/w version.

I haven’t tried the factory reset yet but will do so next week as I don’t want to have the Bravia to completely break down. I know this is unlikely but with lockdown and closure and all not taking any chances.

Please let me know about the s/w slight difference and if this matters.

many thanks.....Nige 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Merry Christmas to you too.

Regarding the update, you'll need to do it manually using a computer and a USB stick. You can find the instructions here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xd93xx_x93xxd_xd94xx_x94xxd-series/kd-55x...

profile.country.AE.title
aethompn01
Explorer

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the link but unfortunately on both my iPad and PC I’ve clicked on the link and it says “This site cannot be reached”. Any chance you could refresh the link and send on please.

I want to ensure it is 100% the correct upgrade as I know from work experience that s/w version changes need to be handled with care.

Many thanks..... Nige 

profile.country.AE.title
aethompn01
Explorer

Hi Hannah,

Sorry ignore my last post. I’ve gone into the support section of the Sony website and managed to get to the v5.435 s/w update.

It seems that this update is quite a significant update across many areas both picture quality and functionality and bug fixes, one of which seems to be the problem of WiFi starting from Standby mode. 
 Going to give this a go using the USB method but not sure why this wasn’t available via the Auto S/W update function, maybe because it was quite a big upgrade, just guessing.

Thanks Nige

profile.country.AE.title
aethompn01
Explorer

Hi, just completed the update and installed ok. Will keep you posted if it cures the WiFi connectivity issue.

Again many thanks for your support......Nige.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, glad it worked. From what I know the automatic update might not work in two cases, if you have a very old version, or if the update is relatively new and not out there for the automatic update fully yet. Let me know if you need anything :slight_smile:

profile.country.AE.title
aethompn01
Explorer

Hi Hannah,

Hope you’re keeping well.

Just wanted to update you as promised.
The update went fine and Bravia behaved itself for a few days but then the WiFi connectivity problem started to re-occur. However yesterday it got worse in that BBC iPlayer app wouldn’t load and Netflix got to 20% level of loading a program and couldn’t move from there. 
I’ve therefore managed to run an Ethernet cable fm the router to the Bravia and also performed a factory reset. Performance is much better with no issues, however I think the factory reset has been important as despite having a wired connection the loading of the apps and playing of programs still persisted, it wasn’t until the factory reset that everything was resolved.

That was today, so I’ll continue to monitor things and let you know how I get on, but so far after several on/off runs it seems to be ok.

Cheers Nige.