Join now - be part of our community!

Why no subtitles on BBC iplayer via Bravia KDL-40EX703?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
rheadcase1
Visitor

Why no subtitles on BBC iplayer via Bravia KDL-40EX703?

My family and I love the fact we can catch up on missed BBC programmes via BBC iplayer on our KDL-40EX703, but with two members of the family having hearing problems, we really need to be able to access subtitles.  The BBC have said that availability of subtitles is down to which version of iplayer Sony are using, but this lack of subtitles is also common to LoveFilm and Video Unlimited streaming services.  Is there something I need to activate on the TV itself to be able to have subtitles with these services?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Responsibility for adding subtitles would sit with the BBC  as they operate the service, not Sony. However I think they have basically parked development of the older versions of iPlayer I'm afraid. Presently they are operating on way too many platforms https://twitter.com/sophiebr/status/263192728425349121 to maintain 100% consistency of services/features, so very unlikely this will be added in future..

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tetrapackage
Visitor

For all I know, each iPlayer version has its own subtitle version compatibility. You can ask Sony about it.

rheadcase1
Visitor

I've contacted Sony customer services about this at least twice, but it's like banging your head against a brick wall.  All they keep saying is that only some progs have subtitles and if they do it will say on the screen for each prog/film - I KNOW!!!!!!!!!  I'm going to keep trying, but I see from the list of posts that I'm not the only one asking about subtitles.  If you have a problem with this too, badger Sony about it, if enough people make a fuss they might do something about it :slight_smile:

Bravia55HX

Dont hold your breath !

Catmambo
Contributor

Responsibility for adding subtitles would sit with the BBC  as they operate the service, not Sony. However I think they have basically parked development of the older versions of iPlayer I'm afraid. Presently they are operating on way too many platforms https://twitter.com/sophiebr/status/263192728425349121 to maintain 100% consistency of services/features, so very unlikely this will be added in future..

Thanks

@9453361302025778
Visitor

I note your reply to the rheadcase1,  query, but according to the BBC site http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/sony

my Bravia KDL-40CX523 has been certified by the BBC as capable of displaying subtitles on Iplayer. I have checked that the latest firmware is installed and internet content is up to date, but still no subs.

Could anyone explain why I am still not able to access subtitles. (On the face of it the problem lies with Sony )

Many thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Manjit49
New

Why can’t I get subtitles on bbc I player on catch up with my Sony smart TV?