Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-AR51M keeps freezing!

parm11
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-AR51M keeps freezing!

Good day,

First time poster here. I cannot find any relevant threads to help me with my issue so I hope you don't mind me posting!

I have a problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-AR51M laptop. I purchased it a year ago (April 2008) and, recently, it has appeared to freeze whenever I have it on but do not use it for approximately 10-15 minutes. In order to restore the laptop's performance, I have to pull out the battery as pressing Ctrl Alt Del/Alt F4 will not do anything. I have checked the task manager's performance processes and cannot see anything untoward/as to what is causing this.

Is this a software issue?

Please help.

Kind regards,

Parm

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Parm and welcome to Club Vaio.

There could be many reasons but the most likely is a rogue driver or service causing the system to loop continuously and lock.

Finding the cause will be a matter of elimination: -

First try booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem happens.

Next try a 'Clean Boot'. Go to Start/Run and type in MSCONFIG and Enter. Under the General Tab choose 'Selective Startup' and uncheck all the boxes below. If that is OK then you will need to check these boxes one by one and reboot until you find the culprit.

Have you updated any drivers recently? What about the nVidia driver?

:thinking:

parm11
Visitor

Hello Blencogo,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I would give you an update. I haven't updated any drivers recently or anything like that.

Since posting this message on the forum, the problem seems to have ceased (touch wood!). However, if it persists again, I will try the steps you noted.

Once again, thank you for your help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Excellent News.

:slight_smile:

PCG-8152M keeps freezing, wont start in safe mode does start eventually in normal mode then freezes also blue screen windows closed to prevent harm. Ive tried changing memory for stuff I know is ok, Vista recognises the change from 4 gb to 1 gb and back when original replaced, sometimes it goes to check disc on start up so Im think HDD crash but dont have a spare to try and dont want to risk losing info on the installed HDD.

this is Intel Duo P8700 @ 2.53Ghz   4 gb ram NVidia Geforce 9600M/GT Vista Home Premium set up.

Suggestions please.

Ive also got a padlock sign with 1 inside it just above the keyboard does that need turning off