Join now - be part of our community!

SVF1531C5E Win 8 downgrade / horrible Customer Service experience

PeterGSX
New

SVF1531C5E Win 8 downgrade / horrible Customer Service experience

Hi,

I wanted to get a new laptop before Christmas. I wanted something with Windows 7, as I hate the way Windows 8 looks like and how it's made. My partner's got a Vaio, I've been using Sony products all my life and I've trusted the brand, so I bought SVF1531C5E laptop with Windows 8, which according to the online description was downgradeable to Windows 7. It arrived on time.

After couple of days of trying to convince myself, that Windows 8 may not be that bad, and trying to make it look like Windows 7, after updating to Windows 8.1, I realised, that this is not a way to go, and I decided to downgrade.

I called Sony helpline, registered my product, spoke with some Customer Rep, who confirmed, that my laptop model does support downgrade to Windows 7. Hooray, I thought, no more tacky tiles and looking for options I've been used to for years. Then he said, that I need to buy a copy of Windows 7. What? Why? It didn't say it online, when I was buying my new PC! Anyway, after couple of days of feeling, that someone has lied to me, I decided I'll give it a go.

I called Sony helpline again and I have been given a number to Sony Tech Support, who yet again confirmed, that my laptop is downgradeable to Windows 7. When I asked what kind of Windows 7 product I need to get, I have been told "I don't know", and asked to contact Microsoft Helpline to get the answer. Yet another disappointment.

I called Microsoft helpline. Never have I been so shocked, when I heard from them, that only Windows 8 Pro can be downgraded to Windows 7 (Pro). Really?!?

I called Sony helpline again. I have told them about my situation. The only answer I received, was a question: "Would you like to return your product?". I asked for Sony customer service e-mail address and I sent them an e-mail stating what's written above and describing my life-long history of using Sony products. You know what's next? I got an e-mail straight away, that the e-mail address ( customer.service.uk@shop.sony-europe.com ) is wrong. Seriously?

I tried to find some sort of electronical way of contacting Sony, as I have spent a little fortune trying to call these helplines, I found an online website form, which I filled in, provided what's above, my contact phone number and my e-mail address. No answer.

In the meanwhile I received an automated e-mail from Sony, asking me for some feedback (Medallia) regarding my experience with the purchase I have made. And you guess right, I sent what's written above. No answer.

None of my e-mails have been replied, none of my questions answered, none of my issues resolved. The only option with some ray of hope is this forum, maybe there's someone out there, who still believes in the company and would like to try to save the remains of my hope in the Brand.

This is totally unacceptable, in my opinion, in the current economical climate and lots of companies struggling to survive, it simply should not have happened. I know my case will not change anything and I wonder how many other people are in the same or similar situation as I am, but I don't think anyone would say, that I would recommend the company to anyone or I'm highly likely to buy from this company again. I have still got a couple of days left of my 30-day return policy, and if I don't manage to downgrade my laptop to Windows 7 I am returning it and I'm expecting a full refund. Fingers crossed and touch wood, as at this very moment, I am not so sure I will be awared a refund.

I considered getting a new, exactly the same laptop but with Windows 8 Pro... I've got a strange feeling the history will be exactly the same and it will waste another month of my life fighting against ignorance. There are other brands still available when it comes to buy a laptop with Windows 7 on board. But it's not the case. And the case is very nearly not about this downgrade anymore, is it? :skull:

5 REPLIES 5
samkma
Explorer

Hi Peter,
Can you please let me know -
When did you place your order and how long did it take for delivery?
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the call centre. As far as I know you can downgrade to Win 7, not quite sure why Microsoft would explain otherwise. All of the drivers are posted here, both original Win 7 and updated Win 7

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVF1531C5E/updates

Do shout if you need any more help though.

Thanks

takrzem

Excuse my asking, PeterGSX, but why on earth do you insist on downgrading it? What feature of Windows 8, or 8.1, does not allow you using it as it is - unless there's really something very specific? What's wrong with it? Can you elaborate?

It does sound to me that you created problem for yourselves based on strange case and it thus appears that you will have to resolve it yourself as well: your situation is no doubt exceptional as I doubt there are a lot of people wanting to do the same, there's a great chance that customer care staff will not be able to advise you how to resolve it as they simply might have confusing or partial or incorrect information. All things considered, this is how situation paints itself before my eyes.

The Brand has bet on Windows 8 - and putting aside our feeling about it in my opinion this is you safest bet as well. In that view I can suggest either getting used to Windows 8, finding a means of downgrade'ing it to Windows 7 if you really have to (I would not be at all surprised that you would have to buy a license though - this is YOUR choice and decision that you want to do it after all, SONY is stating that it is possible but not that it is easy or free of charge) or finally returning the laptop if you are really that unhappy about it. Choice is yours.

Last question: do you like your laptop? Are you happy with it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, Im going to weigh in on this one.

To downgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 is the following

1. According to Microsoft, you only have the (free) license to downgrade Windows 8.1 to 7, if you have Windows 8/8.1 Pro license.  Otherwise you will need to purchase the media (ie CD) and license.  This downgrade path was more designed for businesses in mind and not consumers.
  2. Once you have purchased and obtained the media, use the link provided by Catmambo and download all drivers that you need for Windows 7 and either burn it to CD/DVD or use a USB drive.
  3. From Windows 8.1 - I would personally do a 'fresh' install.  To do this, boot laptop using the Windows 7 DVD that you have just purchased and follow the on-screen instructions from there.
  4. Once Windows is installed, reload all the drivers that you have downloaded.

If you are not PC savvy, it might be best to take the laptop to a local computer technician for them to do it for you (which will cost you as well)

EDIT: NOTE - I believe you will also need to turn off Secure Boot in the BIOS settings

takrzem

This downgrade path was more designed for businesses in mind and not consumers.

This - that is correct.