Join now - be part of our community!

Win 8.1 upgrade failed on SVS1312K3EW, black screen and NO cursor

SOLVED

Win 8.1 upgrade failed on SVS1312K3EW, black screen and NO cursor

Hi!

Tried helping a friends mother to "fix" her computer (i.e. updating Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, installing her printer as well as Office and so on) and I drew a complete blank when trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

This is what I tried:
- Updating BIOS
- Updating Nvidia drivers to latest (no driver update found for Intel HD Graphics)
- Installed all updates on Windows Update
- Installed all updates on Vaio Update

- Installed Windows 8.1 upgrade/update from Microsoft Store

Everything seems to be working fine until the computer restarts to finalizing the installation for Windows 8.1 and then I get a completly blank screen with the keyboard light seem to "fade" in and out.
Nothing else. The computer restarts and is on but I get a completely blank screen with NO CURSOR since many people have the "blank screen-but have mouse cursor"-issue, I on the other hand do not have a mouse cursor.

Then I did a factory reset of the computer, uninstalled ALL bloatware and tried again.
The same error happend again.

Win 8.1 Upgrade/Update Advisor flags the Bluetooth module (program/app) so after Win 8.1 I might need to reinstall the app, it does not complain about anything else.

Wondering if completely uninstalling the graphic card for both Nvidia and Intel and then updating to Win 8.1 and then installing the drivers might work?

Additional question (not relating to Win 8 > Win 8.1):

To remove McAfee IF I already uninstalled the programs (Win 😎 without activating it is impossible, right?
Since McAfee isn't really uninstalled it blocks Win 8 native antivirus program to work correctly which is...well its just swell thinking by Sony Vaio / McAfee.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can't seem to edit my earlier post and this is not for "bumping" the post but solved the McAfee issue.
Well the issue being that after uninstalling McAfee Security Suite ("all McAfee programs") via Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs the built-in anti-virus (Windows Defender?) still couldn't start.

Well guess what, in Windows 8 you have two different paths for uninstalling programs, one is the usual way (i.e. "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel") and the other way is in the Metro-layout ("Microsoft Store").

Removed the metro-app for McAfee and uninstalled AVG which I installed because Microsoft Defender (?) didn't work and voilá! It works now, flawlessly. Also belive all leftovers from McAfee is removed.

---

Edit:

Ah, now found the editing button.

THIS ISSUE IS SOLVED! (SEE BELOW!)

The above simply solved how I was able to get Windows Defender started (i.e. to completely uninstall McAfee since Windows 8 (gotta love hate it) has both programs (that you remove in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and apps that are silly and take up the entire screen which you uninstall via the Metro-interface).

Windows 8.1 on this computer is still not solved!

Edit:
Don't know if uninstalling McAfee (see above) solved it or because I installed the latest Nvidia drivers (332.21).
Now Win 8.1 installed flawlessly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Can't seem to edit my earlier post and this is not for "bumping" the post but solved the McAfee issue.
Well the issue being that after uninstalling McAfee Security Suite ("all McAfee programs") via Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs the built-in anti-virus (Windows Defender?) still couldn't start.

Well guess what, in Windows 8 you have two different paths for uninstalling programs, one is the usual way (i.e. "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel") and the other way is in the Metro-layout ("Microsoft Store").

Removed the metro-app for McAfee and uninstalled AVG which I installed because Microsoft Defender (?) didn't work and voilá! It works now, flawlessly. Also belive all leftovers from McAfee is removed.

---

Edit:

Ah, now found the editing button.

THIS ISSUE IS SOLVED! (SEE BELOW!)

The above simply solved how I was able to get Windows Defender started (i.e. to completely uninstall McAfee since Windows 8 (gotta love hate it) has both programs (that you remove in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and apps that are silly and take up the entire screen which you uninstall via the Metro-interface).

Windows 8.1 on this computer is still not solved!

Edit:
Don't know if uninstalling McAfee (see above) solved it or because I installed the latest Nvidia drivers (332.21).
Now Win 8.1 installed flawlessly.