Join now - be part of our community!

Viaplay app

SOLVED
Loosefaith
Explorer

Viaplay app

Have anyone gotten the viaplay app from the google store working becouse mine installes but wont start and dosent show up under apps only under settings apps downloaded apps.

My tv is a kd-55xd8505

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

It is interesting that Viaplay is on the Google Play TV Store.  However as I mentioned above, there is no mention of Sony TVs supporting Viaplay on the Viaplay website.

Sony Support also will not be able to help you, simply because they have no control or input on the Google Play TV Store - the issue is between Viaplay and Google themselves.  I would advise contacting Viaplay themselves.

Cheers

Interesting point of view Quinnicus, though I am sure you are right.

But then, what are the criteria for apps to be on the Google Play Store on these TVs?

We know the selection is enormously cut down from what you can get on Google Play Store on an Android device; presumably these are apps that run, or are supposed to run, on Android TVs, possibly specifically on Sony sets from the Google Play Store app on these sets, to run on Sony Android TVs?

But here is this app, and it doesn't.

As you say, best ask Viaplay how it got there. Be interesting to know.....

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown

I never get a chance to read this, but if you want :

https://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/tv.html

How Viaplay got there - my guess is error - but also curious to know.

Loosefaith
Explorer

Have written to viaply now just to see what they will say and will ofc report back when i know more

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

@royabrown

I never get a chance to read this, but if you want :

https://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/tv.html

How Viaplay got there - my guess is error - but also curious to know.

I read it; looks like if Viaplay runs on Android TV and meets certain quality and eligibility standards - and there are quite a few hoops to jump through to get there, so it can hardly happen by accident - then it will appear in the Google Play Store.

Though this does appear to be regional from what we have seen, so we don't see it in the UK.

And such acceptance by Google does not check that it runs on all Android TVs.

So maybe Viaplay and Sony can have a little discussion about the incompatibility of Viaplay and Sony TVs, and then one or both can fix some things.

i can call up Viaplay in the Google Play Store on my Moto G phone, and it will find it, but it says it is not available in my region. So regional restrictions again, but handled differently than on the Google Play Store on the TV, which won't even show it.

There is supposed to be a special badge that appears by any app that runs on Android TV, even in the regular Google Play Store, but I can't see any examples of such a badge, on any app there, and nor can I find out from an internet search what it is supposed to look like :slight_frown:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Loosefaith
Explorer

Just talked to viaplay today and they say that it ofc is an error that its on the store amd will have there tecnician on it to find out what went wrong.

And from what ive beem told both from sony and viaplay there isent and most likly will never be a viaply app on sony tv's.

But the again that can all change in the future ofc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Loosefaith for posting an update.  Appreciated.  At least we all know how things stand at the moment. 

Tags (2)