Join now - be part of our community!

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card

DilB
Visitor

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card

Hi Guys
I have a serious problem with my Vaio VGN-AR41M which is only just over 3 years old. I have been surfing the web (on my husbands computer) and basically the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT graphics card is dead. When I boot up I can only see vertical coloured lines, I can hear when windows open but I can not do anything because of the coloured lines I have tried to connect an external monitor but it’s not sending a signal then it gets worse as this particular card has been discontinued please help as my husband wants his computer back

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi arhidakis,

If I understand correctly the fault acknowledged by both NVIDIA and Sony was a fault within the graphics chip itself and not related to its attachment/connection to the motherboard. If a reflow was the solution to the acknowledged problem I would imagine that firstly NVIDIA would not have accepted responsibility, and secondly Sony would have opted for a reflow as opposed to the more expensive option of a motherboard replacement.

This, of course, does not absolve Sony for defective manufacturing process but it would seem that you had a different problem altogether.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
arhidakis
Visitor

Hi Rich,

and thanks for the swift reply

Nvidia has accepted responsibilty in full by paying compensation to SONY for repairing all the defective GPU's yet SONY is not interested in departing with the money.The "inherent defect" relating to GPU Geforce 8400M GT is a common factor amongst other laptop manufacturer's as well as SONY.So how can the problem be any different when it has to do with the overheatin of the GPU to extreme levels (+101 c) whilst on Idle yet the 2 cores max at 66c at same level. According to the CBA (Citizens Advice Bureau) my case and the case of many others applied in the same scenario falls in the consumer act law: Sa tisfactory Quality, As Described,F it for the purpose,And last a Reasonable length of time.

Which in plain english it implies for any goods of electronic nature they should last well beyond the guarantee/warranty the manufacturer give anything between 3 to 5 years.

So i'd advise anyone to call their local CAB and have it explained in full and even download a guide explaining the law before contacting Sony about the issue.I didnt go down that road, as i couldn't be bothered hogging up hundreds of pounds and length arguments over the phone. But from what i'm told the CAB would put up a fight on your behalf.

keiooz
Visitor

This problem could probably came from your GPU. It is better to have it replaced right away. That happened to me before, but my previous notebook is not Sony.

tonyferry
Visitor

Hi all,

Having same problem on my VGN-AR31s in dispute with Sony at the moment, 4 1/2 years old, they have offered 25% off of repair costs which i have rejected, will be seeking CAB advice.

Tony

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck with that Tony.

Please keep us updated on progress as we are now at a stage when many users will find themselves outside of the 4 year period that Sony have offered  a free repair on certain models.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tonyferry
Visitor

Several emails back and forth still getting nowhere, thrown the sale of goods act at them and they have said that is to do with the retailer not the the manufacturer, they've admitted it for christ sake !!!  i have now emailed Dixons & BBC watchdog

Tony

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately in this instance, in law but not necessarily morally, I think that Sony is correct. The following is copied from ‘What Consumer’:

The important point about warranties is that they should never seek to replace your rights under the Sale of Goods Act, and even after they have run out, you will still be protected by these statutory rights which can run for up to 6 years after purchase. Furthermore, you should never be referred back to the manufacturer at any point. Your first and only port of call in the event of a claim is always the seller or retailer”

For the full guidance have a look here:

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/is-the-guarantee-worth-the-paper-it%E2%80%99s-written-on/

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
flogger12345
Visitor

Well said. Good luck man. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vbulletin-smile.gif

Hi there,

I have issues with the graphics card on my Sony laptop.
Apparently there is a list of affected models and mine does not fall within this list, even though the faulty graphics card is 8400M gt and is aknowledged by Sony laptop manufacturing.

I suspect there is more I can do, but I'm not sure what exactly. 

What do you know about this issue?

I appreciate your assistance.

Cheers