Join now - be part of our community!

Assign volume button of remote control to digital output volume 43x8305c

profile.country.GB.title
Techlux
Explorer

Assign volume button of remote control to digital output volume 43x8305c

Android TV 43x8305

It would be very nice if the volume button of the remote control can be assigned to the volume of the optical output.

The optical output volume can be adjusted by going into the volume settings of the android TV and before achieve that you have to go by a lot of menu's (action menu->sound->advanced->digital vol->adjusting the volume)

My soundsystem includes only a DAC (digital to analog converter for high-end sound), very minimalistic and sleek, no volume button on it neither a remote control. So for these kind of simply setups, with or whithout a remote control of an attached digital sound system, it would be nice to have control with only one remote! 

I know there is that option IF you have a specific sound system with ARC HDMI. But I only use the optical sound output (no hdmi).

I always hoped to see this possibility (again, control the optical output with the remote volume botton instead of controlling the volume of the tv speakers) each firmware update. 

P.S.: in settings we have to choose between 'tv speaker' or 'sound system'. Maybe the volume button can be automatically adjusted to 'tv speaker' or 'sound system'.

https://youtu.be/hm2luZorj7w 

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Techlux, welcome to the Sony Community :slight_smile:

Could you describe your setup in a little more detail? I can see what you’re getting at but normally a DAC would output to a receiver of some kind, which would then be operable via its own remote.

Your TV is basically set up to either handle audio via its internal speakers or leave it to external audio gear, so it seems unlikely the TV remote would be configurable to attenuate the volume of the signal from an external device.

I would happily be proven wrong! Perhaps someone in a similar situation has a solution, but it would be useful to have a clearer picture of your setup so they can maybe help out.

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Techlux Before buying my new AVR I had a similar configuration (optical + DAC) and I think what you're looking for be done only using the headset output instead (you'd need another cable, removingthe optical). I believe the optical signal doesn't carry any volume information, just the audio bitstream as it is, so there is now way to control the volume without HDMI ARC.

Some soundbars have an IR transmitter that replicate the IR input from the soundbar remote to the back, sending it to TV. In that way they can control the TV withthe soundbar remote. But that's about it. I am afraid you must stick withthe double remotes.

profile.country.GB.title
Techlux
Explorer
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Oh, all right. Yes, in a way it is possible to reduce the max audio digital output signal. It's tricky, though, because it isn't changing the volume in the soundbar (as it does with HDMI ARC), and as such it has a limit. For example I have that value always at max level (which I believe it is the default), and in that way the volume from the TV is in line with the volume from other inputs in my AVR (like the PS4, or the internal radio, etc).

So, to make that slider effective one would have to keep the soundbar volume quite high, and doing so when switching to another output it  could become extremely loud. I wouldn't really suggest to operate it in that way.

profile.country.GB.title
CedricDelorme
Explorer

Hello, Techlux's suggestion is a great one and I am very worried that in 3 years it hasn't been implemented.

Having to use a separate remote control just to change the volume when the soundbar is connected to the Optical port is one of the biggest annoyances, and the AV Companies know it since they made the HDMI ARC port but I'm sure many people hate it since it wastes an HDMI port when the quality of the Optical Port is enough for most people.

It would really be fantastic if SONY added an option to allow the Volume button to control the Digital volume located in "Settings > Sound > Digital audio out volume" 😞

Or may someone publish an app that would allow it ? I would personally buy it, and maybe Techlux and many other people that have the same problem but didn't bother posting it on Sony forums.

Cedric.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

HDMI ARC doens't waste an HDMI port if you have an AV receiver that allow the passthrough. On the contrary it allows to multiply it. That's the latest technology, optical has made its time since almost ten years now.

The easiest solution is buying a universal remote that can command both devices at once since by definition via optical the two are unlinked.

profile.country.GB.title
CedricDelorme
Explorer

No idea why my reply was deleted by the moderators ... Rooob, thanks for letting me know about the HDMI Passthrough soundbars. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that mine doesn't have this functionality. I have a lowend soundbar as, I think, many people, given the very high price of this kind device. Optical has made its time but it still gives good enough sound for many of us, shame that it doesn't allow changing the volume.

My Sony remote control is RF, so I'm not really interested in buying a universal remote right now.

I've found an app called "Button Mapper" on Google Play that allows remapping the "Volume" button but it cannot assign the Digital volume. I asked the developper to do it, but only God knows if and when he will fill my request.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The problem is in the digital sound there is not such an information as the "volume" like in the analogue signal. And another problem is that it is not the passthrough that make a soundbar expensive but the quality of the soundbar itself. If you buy a low budget soundbar it may be better (IMHO) to stick with the internal speaker of the tv (unless they are really bad). I don't know which product to suggest but there are plenty out there; I have a very old one from 2012 (HTCT350) with 3.1 400Watt and 3 HDMI input (not 4k, it was not existent at the time) and it is still very good (for a soundbar). But I payed it almost 500 Euro back then.

In any case I still think a universal remote is the easiest way for you not to struggle with two

profile.country.GB.title
CedricDelorme
Explorer

Thanks for your help !