Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65AG9: YouView Catchup Apps not working

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
turtle4329
New

KD-65AG9: YouView Catchup Apps not working

Good Evening,

Recently purchased a KD-65AG9 from curry's (3 weeks) - fantastic TV, however, all the YouView apps are refusing to play content.  iPlayer, Netflix, youtube are all fine, internet connection is fine, latest software version installed.

You can load the player, choose which show you want, it shows the adverts then goes to a loading bar and says something went wrong.... or just the loading bar with All4.

Any help would be appreciated - have tried factory reset, software update, changed settings, checked internet, checked broadband, ran all players from different devices connected to the same WIFI, successfully casted the players from an iPhone to the TV, just can't get the TV's own apps to work! Infuriating.

Didn't expect to have this problem with such a new TV.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Lesprob
Explorer

Mark

Bought a KD55-AG9 from Currys 3 weeks ago.  Identical problem to you.  All4, My5 and ITV hub not working.  Wrote to Sony.  See their reply below.  Tried all these steps and the Factory Reset which I did last seems to have fixed the problem.  Only did this yesterday afternoon so don't know if the fix is permanent.  Did complain to Sony that their fault fixing is a bit 'suck it and see' especially as it seems to be a known fault.

-----------

Thank you for contacting Sony support.  

We are sorry to learn that All4, MY5 and ITV hub do not work on your Sony TV.

In attempt to resolve the issue, please find the troubleshooting steps below:   

1-Disconnect any external devices connected to the back of the TV.

2-Unplug the main power cord of the TV, and plug it back after 2 minutes.

3-Clear Cached Data & Reboot the television:  

Press on: (home - Settings - Storage & Reset - Internal Storage - Cached Data - Select Yes to clear it).

4-Press on the green power button for more than 5 seconds until a message appears on the screen " Powering Off " or " Shutting Down".

5-Connect your TV to another internet source. For instance, Hotspot on your smart phone by following the below:  

Press on: (home - help - settings - network - network setup - easy - wifi - connect by scan list - then choose the name of your smart-phone and enter the password).

6-Perform a factory reset:

(Home-settings-storage and reset-factory reset-erase everything).

Initial Set up:  

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors/articles/00122502 

If the above did help to rectify the issue, kindly answer the below for further assistance in your case:

1-What is the device ID?
- This should be available inside system information section.
- Press Home then Help.
- Then, select system information.
- Scroll down till you reach Device ID.
2-What is the current firmware installed on the device. Please write the exact version:

Home - Help and you will see the software version at the top right of your screen.
3-What is the MAC Address?
- Press Home, then select Help.
- Go to view network status.
4-What is the exact issue providing the maximum details?
5- What is your Post Code?
6- What is the internal device IP Address?
7- What is the public IP address by visiting 
www.whatismyip.com?NA
8- What is the internet Service Provider Name?
9- What is the actual internet speed using SpeedTest.net?
10- What is the network environment: i.e. FTTH, Broadband?
- You may refer back to the internet service provider for further assistance.
11- Are you using VPN / Proxy / Anonymizer / TOR service to access the internet?
12- What is the brand and model of the router?

13- What is the results of connecting your TV with your personal hotspot?

14- Does the issue occur with other pre-installed applications?

15-How is your TV connected to the internet? Wired or Wireless?

16-If you TV is connected wireless, is it possible to connect your TV using a wired connection and to reply with the outcome.

17-When did the issue start?

Les

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Lesprob
Explorer

Mark

Bought a KD55-AG9 from Currys 3 weeks ago.  Identical problem to you.  All4, My5 and ITV hub not working.  Wrote to Sony.  See their reply below.  Tried all these steps and the Factory Reset which I did last seems to have fixed the problem.  Only did this yesterday afternoon so don't know if the fix is permanent.  Did complain to Sony that their fault fixing is a bit 'suck it and see' especially as it seems to be a known fault.

-----------

Thank you for contacting Sony support.  

We are sorry to learn that All4, MY5 and ITV hub do not work on your Sony TV.

In attempt to resolve the issue, please find the troubleshooting steps below:   

1-Disconnect any external devices connected to the back of the TV.

2-Unplug the main power cord of the TV, and plug it back after 2 minutes.

3-Clear Cached Data & Reboot the television:  

Press on: (home - Settings - Storage & Reset - Internal Storage - Cached Data - Select Yes to clear it).

4-Press on the green power button for more than 5 seconds until a message appears on the screen " Powering Off " or " Shutting Down".

5-Connect your TV to another internet source. For instance, Hotspot on your smart phone by following the below:  

Press on: (home - help - settings - network - network setup - easy - wifi - connect by scan list - then choose the name of your smart-phone and enter the password).

6-Perform a factory reset:

(Home-settings-storage and reset-factory reset-erase everything).

Initial Set up:  

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors/articles/00122502 

If the above did help to rectify the issue, kindly answer the below for further assistance in your case:

1-What is the device ID?
- This should be available inside system information section.
- Press Home then Help.
- Then, select system information.
- Scroll down till you reach Device ID.
2-What is the current firmware installed on the device. Please write the exact version:

Home - Help and you will see the software version at the top right of your screen.
3-What is the MAC Address?
4-What is the exact issue providing the maximum details?
5- What is your Post Code?
6- What is the internal device IP Address?
7- What is the public IP address by visiting 
www.whatismyip.com?NA
8- What is the internet Service Provider Name?
9- What is the actual internet speed using SpeedTest.net?
10- What is the network environment: i.e. FTTH, Broadband?
11- Are you using VPN / Proxy / Anonymizer / TOR service to access the internet?
12- What is the brand and model of the router?

13- What is the results of connecting your TV with your personal hotspot?

14- Does the issue occur with other pre-installed applications?

15-How is your TV connected to the internet? Wired or Wireless?

16-If you TV is connected wireless, is it possible to connect your TV using a wired connection and to reply with the outcome.

17-When did the issue start?

Les

profile.country.GB.title
turtle4329
New

Thanks I’ll give all this is a go. The wife is most displeased - she is thinking along the lines of is this going to keep happening? I don’t say I blame her. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jasonsonytv
Explorer

My TV purchased last Sunday had the same issue - went through the procedure above and it now works fine 

thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
turtle4329
New

That’s great news. Although it didn’t work for me. I went back through privacy settings and changed Sony interactive and locations settings and that seemed to do the trick. 

profile.country.GB.title
techn001
Explorer

The thing that really solves recent Sony Bravia catchup app issues is going through Settings -> Initial Setup again. You need to tick "Sony Smart TV services" but you're free to disagree to the other privacy options and don't need to tick "Agree to all".

profile.country.GB.title
Ericlacey
Explorer

We have the same problem with our new Bravia. We purchased the set specifically to watch catchup TV, as we do not watch live TV. We were assured by the seller (John Lewis) that everything we wanted would be available on this TV.

John Lewis technical support were very helpful but could not resolve the matter. As they suggested we contacted Sony technical support this morning - here is the crunch

The new 2021  Sony Bravia models all have the catchup apps embedded in the hardware. HOWEVER, they are waiting for the owners of the apps to release them to operate on the 2021 models and Sony told me they should have that clearance by the end of year!!!!!

Why would Sony release a product that does not function 100%??

Annoyed, you bet we are - back to John Lewis tomorrow to get a resolution, they can have their Sony TV back. Sold to us not fit for purpose!

Piscie
Community Team

Hello Ericlacey,

As far as I'm aware, this TV is not affected by this issue. Are you getting any error messages while trying accessing these apps? Also which software version have you got currently?

-Piscie

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Ericlacey 

@Piscie says he’s pretty certain “this TV” is not affected by this issue, but you are talking about a TV you have just bought from John Lewis, so I think it’s going to be a 2021 model, which assuredly does have this issue, and not the 2019 KD-65AG9 this thread is about.

Better, perhaps, to have started a new thread about your particular problem, as the problem in 2019 was quite different, and happened mostly because people were trying to run these sets without an aerial, an issue that was only solved with the coming of the 2020 sets.

I am sure John Lewis will let you swap whatever Sony you have bought for a 2021 set from a different manufacturer who doesn’t have this problem; though alternatively you might suggest they supply you with a Roku Express 4K, at no cost to you, which will provide these apps to tide you over until Sony get their act together. And this will be much cheaper for them than trying to resell your set on an open box basis.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, I can add to what royabrown2 said, you can, for now, cast the apps from your phone + BBC iplayer should be working fine as Sony confirmed.