Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia AF9 new firmware v6.5016 Jan 2021 annoying power consumption notification

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Sony Bravia AF9 new firmware v6.5016 Jan 2021 annoying power consumption notification

The new firmware just installed on my TV has introduced a very annoying notification about power consumption. You have to click “ok” or "cancel" on the pop up notification every time picture mode or picture brightness setting is changed.

It is such a stupid implementation because even if you are choosing a less bright/lower power consumption mode you get this notification which you have to click through.

Which numpty thought this was a good idea and how the hell did it get through quality control? Don't need to see this multiple times every time the settings are changed. Please remove it or restrict it to only once each time you go into settings or provide an option to turn it off by the next update.

55 REPLIES 55
profile.country.GB.title
Glowi88
Explorer

Guessing my 65" XH92 which was 1000£ isn't premium enough to get an update.

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Apparently neither is my 65" AF9 which cost £3500 in 2018. Of course it didn't have the clunky annoying notification about power consumption when I purchased it.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Firmware Is not related to the panel technology nor to the cost of the TV but to the chipset used.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

True (though I don’t really see the relevance of this) but people’s tolerance of a bad UI decision, and their annoyance at it, is related to what they paid for their TV.

And if it is no greater cost to Sony to fix this on an expensive TV than on a cheaper one, this gives Sony even less excuse for getting it all wrong.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Pat100

The auto-brightness control on my 55XG9505 is useless as it can’t be customised. So, I have to use the brightness control a lot. Even the £100 monitor I just bought can do better. Another of those annoying “features” that the reviews don’t mention.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2  ha scritto:

@rooobb 

True (though I don’t really see the relevance of this) but people’s tolerance of a bad UI decision, and their annoyance at it, is related to what they paid for their TV.

And if it is no greater cost to Sony to fix this on an expensive TV than on a cheaper one, this gives Sony even less excuse for getting it all wrong.

@royabrown2 I was just stating as a matter of fact, so a cheaper XH90 have a different FW than the more expensive AF9 but spot a newer chipset and probably will get an update sooner.

I expect that as Sony implemented the EU recommendation on older sets will adapt the same to the newer algorithm, but I'm not Sony so it's up to them to do it ;). I can only recognize the pattern that did first the TV that are actually on the market right now, I would have done the same myself ...