Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia AF9 new firmware v6.5016 Jan 2021 annoying power consumption notification

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Sony Bravia AF9 new firmware v6.5016 Jan 2021 annoying power consumption notification

The new firmware just installed on my TV has introduced a very annoying notification about power consumption. You have to click “ok” or "cancel" on the pop up notification every time picture mode or picture brightness setting is changed.

It is such a stupid implementation because even if you are choosing a less bright/lower power consumption mode you get this notification which you have to click through.

Which numpty thought this was a good idea and how the hell did it get through quality control? Don't need to see this multiple times every time the settings are changed. Please remove it or restrict it to only once each time you go into settings or provide an option to turn it off by the next update.

55 REPLIES 55
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi nlmike, you maybe would like to know that this is mostly for Sony users to share experiences. I don't know if you already know this, but the model number that starts with KE like yours has the EU regulations implemented pre-installed. So that means this pop up is not going anywhere..

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @HannahEd01 

Do you have any explanation as to why every other TV manufacturer has managed to handle this regulation a great deal less obtrusively?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
nlmike
Explorer

Literally all they have to do is show it once, then add a tickbox to confirm you understand it (even though ANYONE understands thismof course) and be done with it. This is just lazy programming.

I am genuinely ***** off to be honest. One of the main reasons i got a new tv was to quickly adjust brightness cause my eyes are over sensitive.....

Where is the law that protects me from that....

profile.country.NL.title
Martijnluka
Explorer

@HannahEd01yes it comes pre installed on newer TV's but that doesn't mean this can't be reversed with an different firmware. 

@nlmikeSame here, we bought an Sony 65" oled for around EUR 2100. We loved it, every bit of it, until the update.

I immediately tuned off updates for our 2nd TV, so at least one of them stays consumer friendly. EU regulations or not, this frustration for many users can't be what they are trying to accomplish.

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Now a strong rumour that the AF9 will get the Google TV-inspired redesign of Android TV; kudos to Sony if that happens. A perfect opportunity to redesign this daft power consumption notification, which is a bit out of place on a premium TV. Checking friends with LG/ Samsung / Philips TV's, they all seem to have avoided such a clunky implementation.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/old-sony-tvs-are-about-to-get-a-new-android-tv-interface

profile.country.GB.title
nlmike
Explorer

That would be good. I reckon it is the same as a car reversing beep which drives you nuts. Can't turn it off because a company lawyer thinks it avoids liability.

Or just plain lazy programming.

Here is hoping...

profile.country.GB.title
chraitke35
Explorer

Seeing more and more people complaining about this now on various platforms. Whilst it may sound petty this power consumption message is ruining my ownership experience. Please let the next firmware update resolve this, every other manufacturer has managed to implement the eu requirement without being intrusive to the user experience. COME ON SONY - GET THIS SORTED.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi royabrown2, I'm not sure of course, all my devices are Sony. But a simple search showed that all brands are obligated to follow these regulations. It already started by LG changing the power labels.

@ Martijnluka , I don't know if Sony has any intention of changing this, but what I'm sure of that they listen. I've been advising everyone to make sure to contact Sony and ask to deliver their feedback to the development team and engineers. At least to allow an option not to show the message again if you selected it.

profile.country.GB.title
FractalFred
Explorer

This is a stroppy childish interpretation and response to one of thousands of micro EU dictates that can be responsibly implemented by;

🌸  Simply showing an initial warning box 

💮  Letting the Adults choose how they use their own electricity

🌺  Giving 'valued' Customers the choice of how they use their TVs

🌸  Displaying a one-time agree or disagree checkbox.

I assert that with this aggressive and intrusive firmware injection, Sony are violating their own Statement of Purpose & Values:

Diversity

Pursue the creation of the very best by harnessing diversity and varying viewpoints.

Integrity & Sincerity

Earn the trust for the Sony brand through ethical and responsible conduct.

宜しくお願い致します。

~  For and on behalf of all forsaken and betrayed Sony customers everywhere. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi FractalFred, I suggest you deliver this valuable feedback directly to Sony, you can  do this simply by contacting them directly: https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/contact/