Join now - be part of our community!

Recording - Neither Flash nor External Hard Drive recognised

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
OldCatLady
Explorer

Recording - Neither Flash nor External Hard Drive recognised

My TV ( KDL32WE613BU) is supposed to record on a 32g or higher HDD.  But i have tried a 250g hard drive and a flash of 32g but niether is recbeing ognised by the TV.. 

When I plug the Flash in it asks me to register it but when I hit yes to proceed is tells me the flash does not have 32g capacity.  It's brandnew never used 32g 

When I plug in the External Hard Drive which is 250g, it keeps telling me to plug in an HDD before it can record.

PLEASE HELP!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
OldCatLady
Explorer

I had actually already reviewed all the pages you mentioned.  Theydid not help at all.  I have however resolved the situation.  A flash drive DOES work and an external hard drive was not required.  The problem was that the TV documentation said I need 32g or above.  a 32g stick in reality pnly has 28g of space so it wouldn't work.  I bought a 64g flash drive (58g of recordable space) and this works just fine. 

The problem was not Sony it is the incorrect advertising that flash drives do.  They claim their drives are 32g but they have up to 2g that are used in format/programming data so in effect they do NOT contain 32g of recordable space.  Perhaps Sony would consider stating that when 32g minimum is required, to be able to record the customer should buy at least the NEXT size up. Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

There can be a number of reasons why a HDD may not work with your TV. 

Please see the following troubleshooter for resolving these issues here.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
OldCatLady
Explorer

I had actually already reviewed all the pages you mentioned.  Theydid not help at all.  I have however resolved the situation.  A flash drive DOES work and an external hard drive was not required.  The problem was that the TV documentation said I need 32g or above.  a 32g stick in reality pnly has 28g of space so it wouldn't work.  I bought a 64g flash drive (58g of recordable space) and this works just fine. 

The problem was not Sony it is the incorrect advertising that flash drives do.  They claim their drives are 32g but they have up to 2g that are used in format/programming data so in effect they do NOT contain 32g of recordable space.  Perhaps Sony would consider stating that when 32g minimum is required, to be able to record the customer should buy at least the NEXT size up. Thanks