Join now - be part of our community!

Using different power adapters

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
olakara
Visitor

Using different power adapters

Hi,

I just got a new F series (Its a 16"; a desktop replacement laptop). The power adapter coming with the new laptop is bulky and weigh lot. My previous laptop is also an VAIO and its power adapter is small and easy to carry. I would like to know if I can safely use the old adapter for my new laptop?

Both seems to be 19.5V AC Adapter. Or is there a traveller's power adapter available with Sony?

Thanks in advance,

Abdel

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi olakara,

If the voltage is the same you need to check that the amperage of the alternative power adaptor is equal to or greater than the original. If it is less you could damage the adaptor and may find that the computer will not charge or run on AC power. My guess is that your old adaptor, being smaller, is possibly of lower amperage output.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi olakara,

If the voltage is the same you need to check that the amperage of the alternative power adaptor is equal to or greater than the original. If it is less you could damage the adaptor and may find that the computer will not charge or run on AC power. My guess is that your old adaptor, being smaller, is possibly of lower amperage output.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Hi I am new here and I need help! Well, I have Sony vaio laptop SVE1513G1EW and my power adapter not working so I am going to buy a new adapter! My damaged adapter have output : 19,5V, 3.3A!!!!!! So I find a new adapter with the same volt and watt, but the new adapter has output : 19,5V, 4,7A!!!!!!!
Maybe Is problem the difference between 3.3A and 4.7A???
Thank u
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “Kostanths7”
Here's the original accessories: http://www.sony.gr/product/vaio-seira-e/sve1513g1e/axesouar

I think there should be no problem. Voltage is the same. Amperage must be at least the same or a bit higher.

Cheers
Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)