Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8 Activation

SOLVED
mabouch60
New

Windows 8 Activation

I have a 4 month old SVP1321C5E Vaio that was preinstalled with Windows 8 Pro and a few months ago updated to Windows 8.1 Pro. Yesterday it automatically started downloading a Windows update and reinstalled windows whilst I was away from my desk. After the download it requested the Windows 8 product key to activate.  On investigation it had obviously tried to download this Windows update several times and failed (possibly due to a dodgy internet connection). This may have interfered with its automatic activation.

I dont have the product key as it was not supplied with the product and is apparently installed on the motherboard. This leaves me with a problem...  Windows seems to know I have a code as it is prompting the last group of 5 digits, but invites me to enter the rest. The telephone activation option does not appear but an error code does (0xC004C003). 

I can't contact Sony Support till Monday when I will be out of the country on a mobile and without adequate time to spend on IT support issues. Where can I get this activation code over the weekend?

My operating system is working in a somewhat restricted mode and I cannot risk a reset/refresh to factory standards as I don't have time to reinstall and repurchase all the applications on the laptop.

Please, can anyone help?

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Normally when the OS is pre-installed, the product key is on the back of the laptop in the form of an official microsoft sticker.  Have a hunt around, as it might be there. 

If not, download a program called Belarc Advisor : HERE.  Install this little program and run it.  Your Windows 8 product key used should then display under the Software Licenses section.

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Normally when the OS is pre-installed, the product key is on the back of the laptop in the form of an official microsoft sticker.  Have a hunt around, as it might be there. 

If not, download a program called Belarc Advisor : HERE.  Install this little program and run it.  Your Windows 8 product key used should then display under the Software Licenses section.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

Cheers

Are you sure that the above is correct?

Windows 8 COA labels are no longer attached to OEM devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nobody-in-particular  - Considering that your comment is in no-way constructive, what advice would you give this person in regards to obtaining the product key of their pre-installed windows OS before Monday?

I dont pretend that I know everthing (of which I dont), however I am willing to accept other advice.  The only way I know of getting the product key is via the sticker on the back of the laptop (which i stand corrected, Windows 8 does not have a sticker on the back), or a program that 'searches' the PC/laptop, most likely the registry/BIOS to get the product key.  Sometime the product key installed is different to the one of the back, because the manufacturer will use their own OEM key.

So, if you have an alternative way, please be constructive and share.

Edit: Another useful tool is the Windows 8 Product Key Viewer

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/30363-Windows-8-Product-Key-Viewer

mabouch60
New

Thanks to the two forum users who posted the solution. The answer is is download a Windiws Product Key Viewer to access the Product Key which is flashed onto the BIOS. For reference it is the MSDN key that is required. There are various apps available that will do this and no technical knowledge is required (thankfully).

I got my laptop fully working by Monday morning and got the answer initially from a Microsoft forum. Having had a bit of a panic I am very grateful to thoughtful and constructive forum users who made the time to reply. Thanks to you all and keep up the great work... To the others I would like to point out that there is no product key sticker on a Windows 8 Sony Vaio, so looking harder won't help, but thanks anyway!

To the least constructive of all (Sony Customer Care - you know who you are), I would like to make a special mention about their helpful advice to do a refresh to factory default settings... that's a bit of a 'go nuclear' response to a simple problem solved in 5 minutes with a free app don't you think? Please add this solution to your repertoire of expert advice. I think I have rather lost confidence in you ...!
Tags (1)